• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

if stay up multiple days...(REM sleep debt)

bickrick21

Ex-Bluelighter
say i miss one night of sleep (8 hours) will i need to get 16 hours the next night to feel normal? or will 8 be sufficient?

say i miss one night of sleep (8 hours) will i need to get 16 hours the next night to feel normal? or will 8 be sufficient?

I would think that eight hours would be the better option because if you oversleep you will get more sleep than you should making you MORE tired than usual. Which is odd, but thats how it works. I think you should just go with the eight-12 hours since u didnt sleep all night. and just take the beating rather than sleeping 16 hours since that will pretty much waste the entire day and throw your whole sleep schedule out of proportion

This is just a theory/guess, dont go by me but this is what i think

Hey OP check out the phenomenon called sleep debt. In effect the cumulative effect of not getting enough sleep compared to acute lack of it. Here's the wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_debt

You likely won't need 16hours (I think your body will sleep more efficiently with more time in REM from previous reading on poly napping) but you'll need more than 8 to feel fully rested. I'm going to move this over to Healthy Living for you.

OD >>> HL

I would think that eight hours would be the better option because if you oversleep you will get more sleep than you should making you MORE tired than usual. Which is odd, but thats how it works. I think you should just go with the eight-12 hours since u didnt sleep all night. and just take the beating rather than sleeping 16 hours since that will pretty much waste the entire day and throw your whole sleep schedule out of proportion

This is just a theory/guess, dont go by me but this is what i think

Hey OP check out the phenomenon called sleep debt. In effect the cumulative effect of not getting enough sleep compared to acute lack of it. Here's the wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_debt

You likely won't need 16hours (I think your body will sleep more efficiently with more time in REM from previous reading on poly napping) but you'll need more than 8 to feel fully rested. I'm going to move this over to Healthy Living for you.

OD >>> HL

thanks i appreciate that, good link/info there.

i did do a google search before posting i just wanted to see what people had with first hand experience

I am not recommending this,.but what I do when I do not sleep for days is trying taking small naps. I stayed up Thursday/Friday and worked 14 hours, I had a 3 hour break where I had a short 30 minute nap. Friday/Saturday I did not sleep and went to a hardcore concert for 12 hours. I slept 45 minutes as a band played bc I did not enjoy the band. Saturday/Sunday I got home from the concert at 3am and I woke at 9:30 and went to an amusement park all day.
I did not use Saturday/Sunday and I fueled my body with lots of fluids and vitamins/ food.

Best of luck.

cegoodman, that's absolutely right. As someone had mentioned earlier, the body actually changes the way the sleep cycles go, in effect making it so you get the REM you need more efficiently in these situations. There's some extreme example of this where you sleep a couple hrs, wake for some hrs, sleep a couple hrs, etc, and repeat for a week or two. The first days, you're dead-tired because you're not getting into REM. After a little bit tho, the body started hitting REM extremely quickly once asleep, and it actually worked out to same REM with LESS actual sleep. Interesting in theory, although nobody's trying to get an xtra hr or so outta their days by adopting this on the regular!!

OP: remember, melatonin is your friend for re-setting your sleep schedule. 1-2mg max, sublingual is best IMO, especially for what you described ;P